Zoom offers various options for creating closed captioning in your session, which provides subtitles of the spoken in-meeting communications. Closed captioning may be used for participants to follow the conversations or meet accessibility requirements easily.
In meetings, the host or another meeting attendee assigned by the host can provide manual captioning, or Zoom's live transcription feature can automatically provide captions. Any of these captioning options are also viewable in Breakout Rooms.
If you cannot provide captioning manually, the live transcription feature is also available but has limitations to note. Live transcription currently only supports English, and the accuracy of the feature depends on many variables, such as but not limited to:
- Background noise
- Volume and clarity of the speaker's voice
- Speaker's proficiency with the English language
- Lexicons and dialects specific to geography or community
Click on the video to maximise.
- Click Live Transcript .
- Click Enable Auto-Transcriptionservice to transcribe sessions automatically.
- Allow viewing of full transcript in the session side panel: If disabled, participants can't view the full transcript in the side panel. They can only view captions in the video window of the meeting or webinar. Participants also won't be able to save captions.
Adjusting the closed captioning size
- Next to Start Video / Stop Video, click the up arrow .
- Select Video Settings, then click Accessibility.
- Under Closed Captions, move the slider to adjust the caption size
- In a Zoom session that you are hosting, click Live Transcript .
- Select one of the following options:
- Assign a participant to type: Assigns a participant to type closed captions during the meeting.
- I will type: Opens the closed-captioning window for you to type closed captions manually.
Click on the video to maximize.
Assigning a participant to type:
To assign a participant to type closed captions:
- Click Assign a participant to type. The participant's window will open.
- Find the participant for who you want to type closed captions and hover over their name.
- Click More.
- Select Assign to type Closed Caption.
Once the host assigns you the ability to type closed captions, a notification will appear in your meeting controls. To enter closed captions as a participant:
- Click Closed Caption . This will open up the closed caption box.
- Type the closed captions in the box.
- Press Enter to submit your closed captions.